May is a perfect month for garage sales, swap meets or flea market finds. Upcycled furniture turn into pieces you actually want to have in your home is so rewarding.
My mother gave me her old guest room dresser that has to be over 25 years old, so not old enough to be an antique but really very good quality. However it was a white rattan with a lacquer top and formica sides. Over they years the white dresser became discolored and not able to be cleaned.
Upcycled furniture projects are a fun relaxing hobby for me there’s no downside, if you don’t like it repaint it!
Here’s what I did, so simple!
1. The hardest part was deciding on the new color palette for my guest room.
I decided on Benjamin Moore Affinity Paint Collection in Color Constellation AF-540 finish Aura.
2. & 3. Then I worked on the space planning for the room & what’s going and what is staying and what needs to be added.
4. That led me to selecting a paint color for the dresser. Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Coco. Annie Sloan Wax: Clear.
My steps for an upcycled furniture project with Annie Sloan Chalk paint and Ikea Lansa Handles.
1. I cleaned it up a bit by just lightly wiping it down with a damp cloth.
2. Removed the existing drawer pulls.
3. Filled in the holes with wood putty where the existing drawer pulls were.
4. Get ready to paint. Tip~ take the drawers out it’s a lot easier that way.
5. Paint 3 coats. Tip~ let dry before applying the next coat.
6. Wax. 2 applications of clear wax. Tip~ let cure between applications for me it was 2 days, just test it to make sure it’s dry.
7. Add new hardware.
8. Assemble drawers.
9. Boom! You’re done!
Total Cost: $80.87
Annie Sloan Chalk Paint: $34.95 for a quart
Annie Sloan Soft Wax, Clear: $24.95 (large)
Ikea Lansa Handle Drawer Pulls: $6.95 for a pack of 2
Hope you had a great weekend! Enjoy the week ahead ~ Nancy
be happy + be comfortable in your home