Red home decor continues to be a popular color choice. So, our color of the month for February is Red! All shades of red, because this pure or complex, energizing or relaxing, cool, warm, berry or blue tone is a perfect way to kick-start February!
Although, opinions vary widely regarding the use of red home decor…
- Feng Shui would recommend only to use red as an accent color and not in dining rooms, children’s bedrooms or kitchen.
- Historical designs are plentiful providing red room designs; from dining rooms to bedrooms. Often times these rooms were layered floor to ceiling including paint & upholstery all in shades of red.
As for me, a cheerful red is just what I’m looking for this time of year as I’m just waiting for the bursting colors of Spring to arrive!
So the bottom line ~ reds are complicated, choose carefully. Warm reds have a feel of comfort. While pure reds can be energizing too much may evoke stress. And, cool Blue-reds pair well with other colors like blue, green, gray, whites & cream.
Let’s look at some red home decor ideas …
Interior Paint Colors. Red can be overpowering in a space. But fear not! There are many ways to paint a room using shades of this primary color.
- Paint an accent wall.
- Or, paint above a chair rail.
- And most importantly … two things.
- Look at actually how much wall space you have. Often times especially in a dining room the walls have large furniture, windows, curtains and artwork leaving little wall space.
- Evaluate your lighting sources. Do you have ample natural light? Does your current lighting need an update? Make sure to check it out at different times of the day –> night.
Home Decor Accents. Red used in textiles such as; bedding, curtains, accent pillows or an area rug are no-fail ways to introduce red into your color palette. So it’s up to you, add a little touch of red or a lot!
Combine Red Hues. Warm reds that have a touch of brown tend to be perceived as relaxing. Mixing red tones compliments a cool paint palette.
Cool Red Color Pairings. Try a cool or berry red which has a touch of blue skewing ever so slightly towards purple.
Happy Friday, have a great weekend!
And as always thanks for sharing your week with us ~ Nancy
be happy + be comfortable in your home
Shop with us at https://intentionaldesigns.com/Shop
Specializing in curtains for your home plus beautiful home decor products!